Thursday 14 March 2013

Double Page Spread Article


In the latest video for ‘13’ indie/alternative single released by Rosa Leigh earlier this year, the innovative singer is touring rural areas around the country to spread her love for music. Her incredible husky and muted tone leaves us pining for more. Since February last year Rosa has been working exceedingly hard to get where she is today, an English phenomena. Her age is the prime time for success, therefore living her life to the max whilst she can. However fame has not gotten to her head, her hard work is paying off. Having a healthy lifestyle, shows her dedication for her fans. I got a chance to speak to Rosa, and her calm and collected ways came so natural to her. She enlightened me on her road to fame. ‘It is such a cut throat business; you can be dropped at any time’.  Music is her passion for life. It is what gets her through the day. ‘Whenever I am feeling down, I pick up my guitar whatever notes my mood reflects’. This is why her music is portraying her raw emotion on stage. I asked her who her role model was during her childhood and she gave me a surprising answer; ‘You would think it would be an old school indie band such as Oasis or Pulp, but in actual fact I worshipped Beyoncé. Everything about her inspired me; she was a true R&B legend’. Even though her role models do not reflect her genre of music, instead she has found a style that suits her unique voice. Her high work ethic is unbelievable, whilst at work she can still endure her hobby. Within the media everybody questions new artists and bands on how long their music can last for. Whether or not they will be a one minute wonder, or a music sensation. Rosa commented on this statement and she feels that she will alter her music slightly to fit the types of genres that are popular for the era, but still keeping her unique twist which makes her recognisable. ‘There may be times where I release an unusual track that can relate to a wider audience and engage as many people as possible. Sat outside London’s Covent Garden Rosa looking impossibly fresh faced, she explains how the release of her debut album was a coincidence rather than an incredible plan. ‘It was accidental that ‘13’ was realised/made, I had a few ideas of the types of song choice I was going to go for, but didn’t realise until after my album ‘Beginning’ was  released it was such a huge hit with the industry’ she comments more. ‘I started composing straight after the release in the stress of my busy schedule’. The accidental album took about 5 months to complete. Rosa has confirmed collaboration with Jamie XX. It is all hush hush at the moment. ‘I am really excited for this opportunity. All I can say as of yet is that the single will be released early 2014’. It’s a long time to wait but extremely worthwhile. Bring on 2014! All new artists get overwhelmed with the work load, gigs and upcoming festivals, they need time to rest. ‘If I relax I feel lonely and get paranoid’ she says. ‘I like being on my own but have to constantly be keeping my mind busy, such as playing my guitar, reading a book or going out for a run’. ‘I enjoy writing and keep notepads full of ideas for future songs and albums. I love to draw so have numerous scribbles and sketched from when I travel around’. Travelling is probably one of the highlights of the job. Meeting new people and breathing in cultures that you can really appreciate. ‘I love to travel, and spread my music worldwide but also taking in other people’s genre of music’. She says, ‘However there is nothing better to coming home after a day in the studio, and spending time with the family’. Style and aesthetics are widely judged upon. Rosa Leigh’s style is somewhat unique but very normal, which makes us feel at ease.  ‘I’m not one for fake tan and heavy eye make-up as it is not my image, but the way I look reflects my music’. ‘I am a true red head’. We all envy her subtle red tones running through her tips and roots. ‘I love my hair, and before going back to my natural state I was every colour under the sun, but starting my career I couldn’t afford a mishap in the media, as I would get criticised heavily.’ She laughs. ‘In this industry there is the perception that every celebrity has to be perfect, and more and more people are getting wild surgery. I have come to terms with the fact that I am not perfect. I take care of my appearance, yes, but don’t’ let it control my life’. There are downsides alongside the job apart from the constant media attention but also family commitments ‘Family commitments are hard to attend to, such as Grandparents birthdays, mothers and father’s day. It hurts me as well of them to constantly let them down. However recently I have been putting my foot down and not let my job take over my life’. Fame doesn’t necessarily bring happiness. Gradually becoming more focused Rosa has made her way to the top of the charts, speeding past big names and pop sensations. With Reading & Leeds festival creeping up in a fast pace she will be one of the top artists on stage. ‘This will be my first festival. I am shitting it, but it is what I love doing, therefore I am going to enjoy it and make the crowd go crazy’. ‘Everyone’s high as kite at summer time.’   

Here is my double page article. Before I asked questions to my artist, but I struggled to think of the right sort of question that would suit my artist. So I chose to write a full article with my artist talking, and I used quote marks to indicate that she has spoken. 

No comments:

Post a Comment